Ah, 'tis the season for first day of school photos and memories. It is a treat to look at the photos my dad would take of us kids out front in WI on the first day of school - might have to scan one for kicks one of these days when I'm not in a sleep-deprived haze. Remember those old plastic square lunch boxes? I'm pretty sure mine was of the care bear variety, yellow.
Luke kicked off his first day with a trip with me to our favorite Starbucks on N. Patrick - we like to sit out front with chocolate milk (him) and misto (me) and watch the cars/trucks/buses/flat beds/car transporters/dump trucks pass by to the right. To the left is a massive construction site filled with excavators, bobcats (not as cool as Grandpa's Badger one), cranes, concrete mixers. It is pretty much a state of perfection for a three year old boy.
And such a big boy he is, he waltzed into class after making eye contact with his buddy Isaac, gave me a sort of kiss, and away he went. My favorite part of school is pick-up when I get a running hug accompanied with a high-pitched "Mommy!" Fast forward 10 years and I'll be peaking out the window watching him saunter to the corner for bus pick up tearing up remembering his days as a toddler. Cry me a river, I'm tearing up right now! The days can feel long, but years whiz ("whiz" - a favorite word from the favorite book my dad and I used to read as a kid, Horton the Elephant).
P.S. Luke picked out his first day of school shirt - the turtle shirt. I was shocked it wasn't CARS, one of the two we have rotated for the past week. Maybe it was influenced by the gigantic tortoise we saw at the zoo yesterday.


No comments:
Post a Comment