This past weekend brought me a little taste of what it's like to be Delco, H, or Callie... if you're familiar with the highly dramatic CSI Miami, you know who I'm talking about. H is my personal favorite, though I've always had a little crush on Delco. I couldn't help but make references to the team and their escapades the entire weekend anytime a helicopter whizzed by.
So, Miami... with two of my favorite friends who I've known for 33 and 20 years respectively, Lisa and Emily - go figure, we are all due with second babies three and a half weeks apart. Emily with a boy, Lisa with a girl, and I'll be the tie breaker. You can imagine the surprise on nearly every passerby's face (especially the TSA ladies at the airport - following us through security, shaking their fingers "no way, no way, no way, did you all plan this? you must have planned this!!!) when the three of us walked in line together as we all looked almost exactly the same size.
We were fortunate to find ourselves arriving in Miami to glorious weather. It was a beautiful weekend, full of sunshine and upper 70s. We stayed at Canyon Ranch a few miles north of South Beach. I imagined it to be a little like a place you'd go to rehab given all the nutrition classes, health professionals on staff, and what we eventually found out, love of portion control. The beach was marvelous. The "restorative yoga class," we could have done without (we dubbed it 75 minutes of sleep).
The moon the first night - it literally popped up out of the ocean - just stunning.
This was the scoop of ice cream that came with one of the girl's apple cobbler dessert - literally a spoon full.
And the key lime tart, about the size of a quarter.
Needless to say the last night, we ordered three appetizers (each meant for two), a second course of salads, and an entree. I think we shocked the waiter, we had to repeat ourselves at least three times. And I still think we lost weight during or stay (made up for immediately upon return given my severe peanut M&M addiction). Here we are sporting the 25-29 week bumps.
The pool on the fifth floor of the resort - it was very warm and we did water aerobics with old people - with weights! It was actually more challenging than I had anticipated, but I was a little nervous the whole time the elderly gentleman in front of me was going to keel over.
And the beach, courtesy of stock photos. We wandered South Beach the next afternoon to make sure we got a flavor of the real scene - and what a scene it was - it met my expectations with the thong-clad roller skating dude.
We've gotten pretty good at this yearly vaca - Scottsdale last year and Miami this year. I think we'll all three be ready to see what next year holds given the additions to our family this summer. Back to Arizona? Bermuda? Sea Island, GA? Or my personal favorite a yoga retreat (with wine) in Ojai, CA?
**A special shout out to my awesome mother-in-law for hopping on a last minute flight to hang out with Luke while I headed to Miami, as Dan had to fly down to FL for last minute work travel.... only to add a leg on to his trip to Deer Valley where he's currently skiing in three feet of powder. I'm not feeling badly for overpaying for a mani/pedi at the spa!



No comments:
Post a Comment