18 October 2009

Rockin' out to my version of the Beach Boys

"Oh, I wish that I could be a California Girl" Ok, that's really cheesy, but our last few days in California were utterly glorious, as my mom would say. And, Dan, have I told you before that I think California is the best place in the world? The sun came out, the wind quieted down, the haze lifted. The skyline from our Sausalito bedroom was spectacular. Paradise.

After visiting Sonoma, we headed into the Russian River Valley. It was stunning. So quiet, vineyards tucked away off long, windey roads, leaves were changing everywhere. Gorgeous. Next time, this is the area we will do all our wine tasting - there were only a few people in each winery and it was so quiet (except for Luke's screeching, of course).

We kicked off the day at Gary Ferrell - a beautiful winery with incredible pinot noir and chardonnay (and we are not big chardonnay fans). Snuck on to a distributor's tour and tasting... one thing led to another and we had new 12 best friends from New Jersey and a wine club membership!

Then off to Lynmar Estate for a tour of the grounds, including their lovely edible garden. A great recommendation from my friend Laura who visited here last year. The gardner told us all about the plants, herbs and flowers used, and Luke even got to see a chicken lay her eggs. We had an amazing lunch of butternut squash soup and roasted chicken, paired with two chardonnays and two pinots. We met a few friends during the tasting who loved playing with Luke while we enjoyed our wine. Highly recommend Lynmar for a food-wine pairing experience and to see the spectacular garden. I, of course, was enjoying my wine and food so much that I forgot to take photos. Good thing Luke got his driver's license before we came out here.

Stopped by a few more tiny vineyards before making our way to Sebastopol, a hippie town with a hint (no make that an intoxicating) aroma of petchuli.We knocked on the door of michelin star K & L Bistro at 5:00 on the nose ready for dinner. You'd never know it from the outside or inside, but the food was some of the best we've ever had. And we felt at home - the "L" stands for Lucas!

Wandering down Union Street the next day... I got lost at the cutest baby shop ever - Sprout San Francisco. There was even this huge room in the back with tons of toys and a train set that Luke and Dan played in while I shopped around. What happened to buying things for myself? Ah, yes, I replaced that pastime with buying clothes for my child. And he's not even a girl - I'd be in real trouble with dresses, tights, shoes.

Would you believe this sidewalk is literally on almost a 45 degree angle? We loved walking the steep streets peering at the beautiful homes. Dan got in a good workout pushing Luke and the BOB up and down. When we got to the car, Luke found it extremely funny to stand up and bang on the street sign. I can't believe he didn't tip over.




Then off to Golden Gate Park for some fun at the Children's playground. It was swarming with little people, sleeves rolled up, getting dirty.


Lots of tunnels to wander through...


And rope courses to explore...


Then a visit to the gorgeous Dahlia Garden outside of the Conservatory.

And lunch with our friends Kent and Christy at Chow in the Sunset District. Luke slept in the BOB through our entire lunch, while we enjoyed beers and pomegranate mimosas. Maybe I just need to swap out Luke's peaceful "ocean" sound machine for an audio tape of a highly noisy, bustling restaurant. Loved this restaurant.


Capping off a great day - a trip to the beach! It was GORGEOUS. Right in San Francisco. We saw dolphins, whales, and surfers, and had a drink at the famous (and several times renovated) Cliff House.

An awesome adventure... until next time, dear, sweet California! Dan, did I tell you I love it here and I'd be the most perfect wife in the entire world if we could call it home? Ha ha.