Kind of a big day over here in Roehl World - Luke kicked off his first day of nursery school. I hadn't intended for him to start until next Fall, but a spot opened up last minute on a wait list he was on. I hemmed and hawed, as I have never been known to do (ha! - remember sorority decision, the peak of my indecisiveness!), and Dan and I both came to the conclusion he's in a great place to give it a go. So, we broke out the backpack and gave it a whirl.
I admittedly didn't sleep that well last night (you'd think I was preparing to give some big whig presentation by memory to 1,000 people at a convention in Boston). But, no, just the little guy's first day of school.
Here's Luke fueling up on yogurt for the big day.
Starting with his famous "praying pose" - school is at a church after all. And now super happy b/c I bribed him with nemo fruit snacks. He loves his backpack (thank you, Isaac!), so that helped, too.
SO we got to school and Luke waltzed right into the room (he had already found a car in the administrative office), ran to the cars in the classroom, and didn't look back (though I did force a kiss). And there I was crying on the way out. I'm such a sucker! Sobbed on the walk to the car, then got it together by giving myself the famous rear view mirror pep talk and headed on my way. Grabbed coffee with a friend, caught up with a long-distance friend on the phone, did my grocery shopping, even carried a real purse, and poof it was time to pick up my little student.
I figured his brain would hurt from all the critical information he was digesting so effectively and efficiently at "school" - perhaps be able to recite the dictionary, paint a reproduction of Matisse, or at least write his name. But, no, he returned as my favorite little guy who didn't nap (shocker) or eat his lunch (okay, there were no M's in it, but it wasn't birdseed, which may have actually been banned b/c it's some sort of nut), happy to be reunited with Lightning McQueen and me (though I got extra hugs, take that, McQueen), hungry (he ate his lunch on the 2 minute drive home) and sleepy. He told me he played with kids, read books, and sang Twinkle Twinkle.
My tears are dried up, and I'm back to just being a super grateful girl to be blessed to have such a cool dude in my life, well two, his dad's kind of rockstar, too. (though it'd be extra cool if he learned out to play the guitar and sing like Ray LaMontagne, what do you think, DT?)


Ahhh.. congrats to mommy and Luke! What fun experiences he will have.
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad Luke had a good first day. I can relate after spending the day researching preschool and thinking about that first drop off day.
ReplyDelete